Susanne Martin (PhD)
is a Berlin based artist, researcher, and teacher in the field of contemporary dance and performance. She works internationally as soloist and in collaborative settings. Her artistic practice and research focuses on improvisation, contact improvisation, narrations of the aging body, humor and irony in dance, artistic research methods, improvisation-based and art-based approaches to learning, knowledge production and knowledge dissemination. Her book Dancing Age(ing): Rethinking Age(ing) in and through Improvisation Practice and Performance has been published by transcript in 2017.
She currently holds a postdoc position at École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Switzerland, where she examines dance improvisation in its potential to rethink and advance processes of learning and researching in a technical university.
Book reviews of Dancing Age(ing):
„Meticulous and rich, the book incorporates theoretical density with practice-based insights. […] Martin’s work supports the wider acceptance of Practice as Research (PaR) in academic settings as a rigorous and comprehensive mode of critical inquiry and knowledge production.“ Michelle Heffner Hayes in Critical Studies in Improvisation 12 (1).
„Martin has keen insights into the gaps and spaces of negotiation between what are commonly viewed as dualistic and fixed positions – youth and old age. […] What distinguishes this text is the meeting of scholarship and self-reflective practice, or as Martin puts it, the fluid process of inquiry between researcher and researched.“ Megan V. Nicely in The Drama Review 62 (3).
- Next / Recently
– 3.5.2022 Body and Voice in Teaching, Workshop EPFL Lausanne
– 27.4.2022 Was ist Tanz? Workshop / Lecture Performance zusammen mit Jan Burkhardt, Centre Francais Berlin, https://centre-francais.de/events/skat-1-was-ist-tanz-mit-susanne-martin-und-jan-burkhardt/
– 3.4.2022 Miteinander improvisieren: Ein Tanz, ein Vortrag und zwei Übungen zum Sich-Anstecken, Lecture Performance, Symposium Gruppenpsychoanalyse, Wien
– Somatic Research and Documentation Workshop 26/27 March 2022
Information and registration via Somatische Akademie Berlin: https://www.somatische-akademie.de/en/your-account/booking-en
– Movement Improvisation for University Teachers (together with S. Henein) Jan/Feb 2022, in Neuchatel/Lausanne. More infos: www.epfl.ch/labs/instantlab/ascopet
– Au beau milieu / Au bas mot 29/30 January 2021, performing improvisation with L’Ame de Fond, Neuchatel, Switzerland
-Understanding Dance for Beginners and Intermediates, created for Soundance Festival Berlin, online-tutorial-version, release: 18 June 2020: CQ Rolling Edition
-27.10.2020 Improvisation für die Universität? Gewohnheiten in Bewegung Lecture Performance, Saalfrei Festival Stuttgart
-23.10.2020 Three-cornered Circle Improvisation Maya Carroll, Kurt Holzkämper, Susanne Martin, Saalfrei Festival Stuttgart
-postponed (13-19 August 2020) CI workshop, International Contact Improvisation Festival Freiburg
– postponed (6-12 July 2020) CI workshop, Netherlands Contact Improvisation Festival
– 29 November 2019 Stromen, duet improvisation with Simon Wenger / group impro with Instant Pig, SAAL FREI, Stuttgart.
– 26 November 2019 Stromen, duet improvisation with Simon Wenger / group impro with Frenesi Trio, FIM Basel, Switzerland.
-25 October 2018 Ties & Bonds: a dialogue in words and action between dance and extended vocal art , with Alex Nowitz, artistic research conference Alliences & Communalities, University of the Arts, Stockholm
-22 – 25 February 2018 (UN)Domesticated Bodies live feed by Rosalind Crisp, Tanzfabrik Berlin
– 20 January 2018 100 Fragen an die Tanzvermittlung for Symposium RESPONSES Berlin